Adventure in wheelchairs
Experience the best that Ecuador has to offer on this incredible 11-Day Tour to the Galapagos Islands and the Amazon! On this accessible adventure, you will encounter the diverse flora and fauna of these two picturesque landscapes and make memories that will last a lifetime!
|# persons||Price per person in USD (using standard not adapted vehicle while in continental Ecuador)||Price per person in USD (using vehicle with lift while in continental Ecuador)|
- Enjoy the beach at the Galapagos, searching for Blue-Footed Boobies and sea lions.
- Stay at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, the only accessible destination in the Ecuadorian Amazon.
- Engage, dance, and eat with an indigenous community
- Raft through the Amazon River with a professional team
- Tour Quito´s Colonial Center, declared a World Culture Heritage site by UNESCO.
- Visit the Middle of the World and straddle the line separating the northern and southern hemispheres at the ¨Mitad del Mundo¨ monument.
Specification of meals included: B: Breakfast / L: Lunch / D: Dinner
Day 1: Arrive in Quito
Welcome to Ecuador! Your guide will pick you up from the airport and drive to your hotel. Once settled in, you will enjoy dinner in Quito and have a briefing about the tour to prepare for the adventure ahead. D
Day 2: Quito – Amazon
On our drive to the jungle, we will stop in a hummingbird hotspot to watch these beautiful, vibrant birds in their natural habitat. We will arrive at the 100% accessible “Huasquila Amazon Lodge” for lunch and a welcome cocktail. Later, we will visit an indigenous community and have the chance to learn about their customs and traditions. B-L-D
Day 3: Amazon
We will start the day with a 1.5 hour drive to the Anzu River. There, we will raft down the calm river, giving us the chance to admire the surrounding flora and fauna; truly one of the best ways to experience the magnificence of the amazon. During the trip, we can stop at several points of interest to take pictures and relax on the river.
Note: Even though the river is very calm, for safety reasons, we will raft down the river with a security kayaker at all times. Additionally, each traveler will wear a safety jacket, helmet, and all safety equipment. For the transfer in and out of the boat, we manually assist the guest by using a sliding board and/or manually lifting the guest into the boat.
We will finish our journey around 3:00 pm. Dinner and the rest of the evening are for relaxing and chatting at the lodge (play games, cards, etc.) while enjoying delicious tropical juice or wine. B-L-D
Day 4: Amazon
Prepare to go off-roading! With the use an off-road wheelchair, we will go hiking through the secondary rainforest and learn about medicinal plants from a native guide. The path into the rainforest is less than a ¼ mile and usually takes approximately 30 minutes, as it includes stops along the way. After lunch, we will visit the “arca” animal rescue center. B-L-D
Day 5: Amazon – Quito
This morning, we will drive back to Quito, after lunch we will visit the historical center and make a city tour where you will visit different churches and plazas.. At dinner we will give you final information and get prepared for our trip the Galapagos Islands. B-L-D
Day 6: Quito – San Cristobal (Galapagos)
Our day begins at the Quito airport with a short flight to the island of San Cristobal. That afternoon, we will visit the Interpretation Center to learn about the Island´s history, conservation, and hazards facing the Island. Spend the afternoon in a beautiful beach, as our first introduction to the fauna in the Galapagos B-L-D
Day 7: San Cristobal
This morning will visit “La Loberia” and have close encounters with sea lions, marine tortoises, marine iguanas, and a myriad of birds. In the afternoon we will visit “Tijeretas” or frigatebird hill, that is a lookout point, with a panoramic view of shipwreck to the south and kicker rock to the west. B-L-D
Day 8: San Cristobal
Today Galapaguera, to see the famous Galapagos Giant Turtles. We will have the chance to admire from close distance. In the afternoon you can enjoy some kayaking with our staff´s help or have a free afternoon. B-L-D
Day 9: San Cristobal – Quito
After breakfast, we will have a last chance to enjoy the beach before we catch our flight. In the afternoon arrive to Quito and drive to our hotel. B-L-D
Day 10: Quito
Once back in Quito, we will visit the “Mitad del Mundo” (Middle of the World) here you can get a photo straddling the line separating the northern and southern hemispheres. Then visit the Teleférico, from here you will see at least four snowcapped volcanoes. After will visit the iñaquito market and the handicraft market, you will se variety of fruits as well as buy some final souvenirs. We will have our farewell dinner. B-L-D
Day 11: Quito – Fly home Transfer to airport and depart Ecuador. B
ABOUT THE TOUR
- The Amazon-Galapagos program is a tour that combines a bit of adventure, culture, nature, and leisure.
- It is an all-inclusive basis tour. All meals, transportation, accommodation, guide, and activities included.
- Hotels throughout the Amazon and Galapagos present a good level of accessibility. Some have roll in showers, some have small (5 inches) step to get into showers, grab on bars, but in general they adapt their facilities to host people using a wheelchair.
- Re: Rafting on the Amazon River; even though the river is very calm, for safety reasons, we will raft down the river with a security kayaker at all times. Additionally, each traveler will wear a safety jacket, helmet, and all safety equipment. For the transfer in and out of the boat, we manually assist the guest by using a sliding board and/or manually lifting the guest into the boat.
- Re: Boat transfers in the Galapagos; we manually assist the guest by using a sliding board and/or manually lifting the guest into the boat. For snorkeling, each guest will use a safety jacket and foam board to explore the water. Each guest will have assistance in and out of the water.
- SAFA is able to provide a van and/or a bus with an electric lift (max 16 people). Individual or assisted manual transfer into seats is required.
- Re: assistants or help; we recommend clients use a manual chair, since the entire country is not 100% accessible. Therefore, we will provide one assistant per client to assist with the wheelchair when needed. This will only be for tours and activities, NOT personal activities or duties.