Tricia Downing is a woman who is driven, classy, accomplished, and looks to demonstrate the concept of “mental toughness” to help others achieve great things.
Not only a Paralympian athlete she is a speaker, author (“Cycle of Hope”), and a creator of many worthwhile projects.
Her projects include:
She’s Got Grit TV – A unique online show consisting of 3 minute episodes about female athletes with disabilities who compete at the highest levels.
Camp Discovery – A 2 1/2 day camp for woman who are full-time wheelchair users.
Tricia was injured on September 17, 2000, when a car hit her while she was cycling as a part of her rigorous training to compete in cycling events. Up until then, she had competed in 18 events in 22 days across the country as a competitive road and track cyclist.
Tricia shares her personal story, and you will learn:
- What has been the draw for her before her accident and now to sports and athletics.
- Her best advice to stay healthy and injury free.
- From an athletes’ perspective, how one trains your mind to be strong and persevere.
- Some advice for our readers on how to gain the discipline she has mastered in sports and life.
- What she attributes her success to and what drives her.
- Other than her accident, the other areas she has needed mental toughness to overcome challenges.
- The challenges she hears from others that we need to address as a community of people with disabilities.
- The discrimination she’s experienced as a woman in relationships and business due to her disability.
- What we can do to overcome discrimination for ourselves and others.
- Camp Discovery: When it was founded and how participants get selected to attend.