The more information I gather on disabled parking, the more I am disappointed in the current system.
Swallow a few of these facts:
The total number of disabled parking plates and placards have nearly DOUBLED in the last 15 years…the number of spaces required has stayed the same.
Disabled plates and placards account for 8% of registered plates/placards in Arizona, but the ADA requires 4% at most, often only 2%, of parking spaces to be disabled. This trend is growing in all States!
In 2000, 12% of Arizonans had a disability under the age of 65. In 2015 it decreased to 8%, yet the number of disabled plates and placards has consistently increased.
On average 20,892 new disabled plates and placards are issued every year.
Temporary disabled placards have increased by 274% since 2002, despite no significant increase in reported injuries.
Disabled parking is not audited by the medical board or MVD, so once you have it, you’re clear…even if it was fraudulent.
There is no requirement to return placards once it is no longer needed (individual passes away).
The number of disabled parking spaces has increased by approximately 20,000 EVERY YEAR.
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW USES DISABLED PARKING AND DOES NOT NEED IT, PLEASE URGE THEM TO STOP. There are people that actually need it to get to the store, doctor’s office, and so on. Be better people, people.
DON’T USE SOMEONE ELSE’S PLACARD!!!!!!!!!!
See Related articles, Learn, SHARE and ACT. Join “Gimp Gathering” Events throughout the Country and start your own!
- Miraculous Paralysis Recovery Specialist Ken Bryant – Is He for Real? - August 22, 2018
- How to Hire and Keep Caregivers - February 12, 2018
- Into the Minds of Devotees & Admirers of Women with Disabilities - December 20, 2017
- Gina is On a Roll: Success in Dating with a Disability - December 10, 2017
- Being In a Wheelchair Makes You an Inspiration or No? - November 28, 2017
- Gina on Fire! Disabled Community: “Stand Up (for yourself) Lazy Ass”! - May 19, 2017
- “Gimp Gatherings”: Organized Vigilante Style Advocacy - April 30, 2017
- Disabled Parking: How Disappointing is the Current System! Swallow a Few of These Facts - November 30, 2016
- This One Goes Out To All My Tets…The All Too Familiar Awkward Hand Shake - November 21, 2016
- Politicians Determining The Needs Of Disabled Individuals Is Pure Arrogance - October 25, 2016